Bursitis is a condition wherein you develop swelling and pain in the bursa, a fluid-filled sac that sits between the skin and the muscles. When not treated, it can lead to severe pain and inflammation. Luckily, a chiropractor can help relieve bursitis and prevent the condition from worsening.
What Can Cause Bursitis?
There are various reasons people experience bursitis, which are:
- Injury: This case often happens to athletes who participate in sports that put a lot of pressure on their bursae, such as tennis, swimming, and gymnastics.
- Occupational exposure: People who work in occupations that involve a lot of movement, such as construction workers, can make their bursa inflamed and swollen. This can cause pain and discomfort, leading to the development of bursitis.
- Infection: If you have strep throat or other types of disease, your body’s immune system can attack your bursa, leading to inflammation and swelling.
Common Signs of Bursitis
Bursitis is not something that a person can easily detect with one glance. Regardless, there are symptoms you can watch out for. Most typical signs of bursitis include:
- Swelling and pain in the bursa, usually around the shoulder, elbow, or hip
- Redness or warmth around the bursa
- Difficulty moving the affected area
However, remember that the symptoms of bursitis can vary depending on the type of bursitis. In general, bursitis symptoms include pain and swelling in the affected area. If the bursitis is severe, the person may also experience a reduced range of motion in the affected joint.
Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history to diagnose bursitis. They will also perform a physical examination to look for any signs of inflammation or swelling. If the bursitis is suspected, your doctor may prescribe medication to reduce the inflammation and relieve the pain. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the bursa.
What a Chiropractor Can Do to Relieve Bursitis
While it’s true that bursitis can heal on its own after a few weeks or two, it’s still often quite painful and may require treatment from a chiropractor. After examining your bursa, a chiropractor may prescribe a pain relief medication or an exercise program to help reduce the inflammation and improve the healing process.
In addition, they may use a variety of techniques to help relieve bursitis and prevent it from getting worse, including:
- Manipulating the spine to relieve pressure and tension in the lower back and neck
- Treating the underlying cause of bursitis, such as an infection or a muscle imbalance
- Using heat and ice to reduce swelling and pain
- Assisting with physical therapy to improve the range of motion and strength in the affected area
If you’re experiencing significant pain and discomfort from bursitis, you must see a chiropractor as soon as possible. They can help you to heal and recover from this condition quickly and easily.
Chiropractors are a very important part of the healthcare system and can effectively treat bursitis. They use various techniques to help relieve pressure and inflammation in the bursa and can often help speed the healing process. If you are experiencing pain in your shoulder, neck, or arm, seeking a chiropractor may be the best option.
Triple Crown Chiropractic has a team of reliable and knowledgeable chiropractors in Kentucky that can help relieve bursitis symptoms. Schedule an appointment with us today!